Sunday, March 8, 2009

Whether the weather, whatever the weather. Whatever.

So the light of 2009 has dawned upon us, as has the new light of hope for some warm weather, after a couple of years wait! The weather can not be any worse this year.

So last summer was a washout. I finally took my 4 week holiday after Christmas, travelling (as crazy non-Zimbabweans do) to a country in political turmoil. Ah well, I've had a good life, I thought as I ambled onto the plane.

This was my first time to Africa. I just fell in love with the place. Plants and animals, animals and plants. It was the greenest place I've ever been (even greener than those rolling hills of Devon on a May day). The climate was a tonic. As well as visiting Zimbabwe, I was fortunate enough to visit Mozambique also.

Mozambique is not a place I would choose to go myself, but tagging along with my Zim buddies, I would heartily recommend it.

I wondered why I struggle so hard to grow palms in the UK. 

A Mozambican Hyphaene species, growing in the dunes on a spit of sand between a river and the sea.

Here is probably one of many highlights of my visit to Zimbabwe. Walking with the lions.

 An awesome way to spend January!

2 comments:

Owen said...

Hey Rob,

Would be interested in seeing more photos of your holiday.

Walking with lions must be a pretty hard experience to beat!

Africa is on my list of places i really want to visit- but never seem to get around to arranging it.

Cheers
Owen

Rob said...

Hi Owen,

Unfortunately I have way too many Africa pictures - a good 700 or so!

Walking with the lions was amazing, but fishing among a group of hippoes and riding an elephant into a lake were amazing too!

If you like animals and wildlife, you would fall in love with Africa, as I did. I want to go back!