Sunday, March 15, 2009

Setcreasea

From time to time arises a 'must-have plant'. Fortunately here in the UK we are really lucky to be able to get hold of quite a lot. Juania australis, Guihaia argyrata, Shefflera macrophylla.... our nurseries are amazing at sourcing plants for us UK gardeners.

Here is what I want, recently available in the US;


Setcreasea pallida 'Variegata'. It's a bit psychedelic isn't it? Groovy. I am quite keen on this Tradescantia relative (some would argue it was a Tradescantia).  I have grown S. pallida 'Kartuz Giant' for several years, and although it survived one winter outdoors, I've yet to see if it survived this last icy winter.

Here is S.pallida 'Kartuz Giant' in my foliage border last summer - the purple thing;



S.pallida 'Kartuz Giant' is one of my favourite herbaceous plants, unfortunately it's a fave of the slugs and snails too.

So I hope to get my hot little hands on one of those variegated plants sometime soon!

No comments: