Sunday, May 24, 2009

A few of my favourite things...

Syringa protolaciniata is a plant I bought on impulse. It was a big plant, trained as a standard, but it was definitely worth it. The flowers are a lot less blowsy than the S.vulgaris hybrids, and the colour is great - a bit like those yucky Parma Violet sweets, and the scent is superb. This is definitely a plant that should be better known. You can't really see the leaves in this picture, but they are quite finely dissected and remain a fresh apple-green through the summer.


Schefflera taiwaniana showing new growth several weeks ago. The mature leaves are stunning, but the new growth is the best feature. They remind me of umbrellas for some reason. The aphids usually love the new growth, but they didn't seem to become a problem this year.


A strange mix of Yucca rostrata, Y.elephantipes, Y.rigida, Chamaerops humilis, Cerinthe major, Puya caerulea and a bearded Iris. There's a clump of Tillandsia aeranthos on the Cedar trunk too, just to add to the weirdness!


Another interesting combination. I can't remember the name of this Astelia, but it's rather large, and very red. Probably my favourite of the Astelia. The Echeveria is 'Mauna Loa', with a Pelargonium tucked under a Brahea armata leaf. 


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Rob. If the Astelia was from me, it's A. 'Red Gem'. Mine came from Apple Court, off a plant in the garden. I've never seen it for sale elsewhere.

Rob said...

Ah, okay Peter. This plant was actually from a friend, bought as 'Red Gem'. It seems I have two now, which is no bad thing!

Unknown said...

Oh dear, I seem to be called "info". I must have missed some log-in chicanery. Red Gem is a nice plant, isn't it? I have several in my tiny plot.