Sunday, April 12, 2009

Hanging Gardens of Wimbledon

Okay, not quite hanging, but some of the gardens near Wimbledon tennis have some sharp slopes to contend with. I'm doing the photos a bit bigger, as I don't know whether it's possible for the smaller ones open up into a bigger frame.

This is a stunner of a private garden (and house) which I was fortunate enough to have a look around. It was about this time last year, and they're having lots of work done to the garden, so it's probably looking a lot better now.

The front garden. 
The back of the house with a view up through the different levels.
A different front garden which I took photos of through the railings. Lots of green courtesy of the tree ferns. Some exotic Bali sculptures and lots of black Ophiopogon is joined by plum-flowered annuals during summer. A smart, simple combination, which also ties in with the tennis!

This ultra-contemporary house has some interesting planting. Mass planted Stipa gigantea, joined by red tulips in spring. Later in summer they used Dahlia 'Bishop of Llandaff' en masse, to good effect.
I'm not sure about this last garden. I would go for structural, silver/blue-leaved evergreens to tie in more with the building. Cedrus atlantica 'Glauca', mass planted Lavandula 'Munstead' and Alliums with a pale coloured gravel would have been my choice....

2 comments:

Victoria Summerley said...

Completely agree with you about that last house. The planting looks a bit unimaginative, like an old-fashioned park bedding scheme. I must say, I get serious house envy whenever I drive through Wimbledon Park on my way to the A3.

Rob said...

The masses of Stipa gigantea is a great idea, but just looks a bit 'cold' in this setting. The building is quite imposing, it needs something evergreen and bold out the front. Shall I start a petition and post it through their door?