Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Cotswold day trip

I couldn't think of a pun for my post title. Drats! Fret not, I'm sure I'll have some excellent puns in the near future.
I was on business a couple of weekends ago, not too far from Cotswold Garden Flowers. CGF, as it is affectionately known, has to be one of the best nurseries in the land. Unusual plants, that should be better known, at very reasonable prices. Always well-grown too. My only fault with them is that I'm not on commission for incessantly singing their praises!

An overall shot of the nursery, the stock beds are full of tempting goodies.

The range of Heuchera in the polytunnel was mouthwatering, with some equally
 mouthwatering names; H. 'Tiramisu', H. 'Caramel', H. 'Obsidian'....

Here are a couple of plants that had already made their way into my garden, originally fro
m CGF. Astelia 'Red Devil' and a Heuchera I've forgotten the name of... 'Marmalade' I think.I was a little restrained when it came to the plants. Apart from this gloriously scented Muscari...
... I bought a pink Muscari, and also a particularly electric blue form of M.armeniacum. Echeveria 'Mauna Loa' will also grace my garden this year...
I also bought a small Phormium called 'Back in Black', which caught my eye. In the picture it is the one in the middle/foreground.
This picture will be credited to Neil Alcock. As a disclaimer, whoever offers proof that they own copyright to the Echeveria and Muscari photos, please contact me and I'll take the pictures down! Back to 'Back in Black', it actually features in a Telegraph article.


4 comments:

tropical-pete said...

It's a great place - we visit there regularly in Summer (we're only about 20/25 mins away), and there is ALWAYS something to tempt you! You could go with a list of plants you need, and I can guarantee you'll come back with something different. As you've said, they have a brilliant selection of unusual plants, and their prices are good as well. Can't wait until we go again now!!

Will said...

Hi Rob - Last year I visited a place in Oregon called Tera Nova where they micro prop Heucheras that go out all over the world - an amazing nursery. You mentioned that you have S. taiwaniana- can I ask where you got this delectable Schefflera from? I have been given a wee small plant about 2ins tall; hence I would like to get a descent sized one. I think I will have to get some more from Crugg, though will have to raid the bank first!

Rob said...

Pete - you're really lucky to live so close! If I were closer I wouldn't need to go to any other nursery or garden centre. The range is amazing!

Will - the colour breaks with some of the new varieties of Heuchera makes me wonder what else is in the pipeline at Terra Nova... They're good plants for making loud plant combinations.

In answer to the Schefflera question, my own was a several-year-old, ex-Crug plant from my friend Stuart's garden, who was planning to move to Canada. It was duly dug up and re-rooted before being planted out, by which time Stuart's planned move had fallen through...! I'll pop some pictures on here in the next few days.

A better form (in my opinion) is available from Hardy Exotics....

Owen said...

Come on Rob- dont leave us hanging!

What did you buy!

Ive only been to CGF once (back when Mulu was around)and remember the hundreds of baby toads in the poly tunnels!

Got some nice arisaema there IIRC.