Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Travel Plans

Before long this blog is going to turn into a travel blog!

Having had a really busy year in 2010, I had earmarked January 2011 as a month to take a few weeks holiday. I am up for adventure.

I recently spoke to some friends who are going to Thailand (again) for the new year. I have become quite spontaneous with my holidays abroad, booking flights and throwing things into my suitcase at the last minute. I feel this will be one of those spontaneous moments.


How could one fail to be impressed?

I am keen to hear from any bloggers that have travelled around Thailand, places to see and go, how to get around, where to stay, where to avoid, where to stay longer etc..

I've found to my delight, that it's now the cool season, so a perfect time to visit! Whilst the UK freezes, meaning the airports are at a standstill, I am risking getting swept up in the chaos.

Any info/advice/recommendations gratefully received!

3 comments:

D said...

Happy travels Rob. We hope you have a wonderful holiday season, one that is joyous and blessed, and look forward to your posts in the New Year.

The Idiot said...

Bangkok is a must-do. I once headed out for an impromptu break and we spent three weeks there. Too many people skimp on time there, or barely scratch the surface.

With Thailand, you get back what you put in. Head for the islands and beaches and you'll geta tourist experience. Head north to Chaing Mai and you'll be walked along well trodden paths whilst being told no white man passed that way before (for around 30 seconds).

That said, head into the Udon Thani or Nong Khai regions in the North East, or hug the Burmese border between Mae Sot or Nam Tok and you'll see the real country.

If you must do the touristy bits (and you probably should do some) then Chiang Rai beats Chiang Mai, Sukothai and Ayuthya are glorious reminders of the past, Kanchanaburi is so much more than the Bridge over the River Kwai, and Phanom Rung is a seriously good Khymer region!

Nellie from Beyond My Garden said...

Thailand, yes, I'm impressed. Looking through your blog, I look forward to your travels. As an idea, when I traveled I started another blog just for the trip. I still wrote both blogs, but kept my original one focused on gardening/nature aspects of my trip. The travel one made a nice book when I had it printed in Blog to Print. I then left it open-ended so that I can start again for the next trip.
nellie