Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Bromeliads

I seem to have amassed a confection of bromeliads over the past few years. They're just a bit collectable! They are extremely adaptable plants, and range from moss-looking plants (Tillandsias uesnoides in Sarasota) to gigantic triffids (Puya raimondii).I've found a few to be fairly tough, but not fully cold hardy in a London winter.  

This one is a hybrid called 'Sueños'. It is thought that the parents are Aechmea recurvata and Aechmea gamosepala. It's a real gem of a plant, and had survived a number of years outdoors, until the winter before last when I nearly lost it completely. Fortunately I managed to salvage a couple of offsets and restart it. From now on it will be my pet, cosied away in the garage over winter. You may not be able to tell from the pic, the plant is about 15cm tall.


This is Aechmea gamosepala, one of the commonest bromeliads in subtropical climates. It's fairly tough here too, but a heavy frost will usually bleach the ends of the leaves. I love the flowers on this one.
 
This is a Tillandsia aeranthos (stapled to an apple tree), which decided to flower recently, despite having been through -9C unprotected last winter.


These two Tillandsia bergeri have been outdoors for years, gradually offsetting/branching and a few flowers this year. I believe one to be a larger form, bought from Croston Cactus. The smaller is what I believe to be the typical form. Who knows? You can also see a Billbergia nutans flower, originating from a plant living in the hollow of the apple tree.

A typical winter scene!
Even out of flower they look cool!


4 comments:

Ms B said...

I am impressed with your exotica, but am considering reporting you to the RSPCAT (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Apple Trees)

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Hello Rob! I got here after reading Victoria's post about your garden. I'm glad she did it and now, I can enjoy so many beautiful plants you show on your blog! And I like cream tea!

Meems said...

Hey Rob,
I am so impressed with your bromeliads... I had no idea they did so well in England. You are better with their names than I am. I have loads of them in the ground and even I lost a couple of mine this year to the unusual January frost. Love those on the apple tree... don't blame you for babying the 'Suenos'... it's a beaut!

D said...

Hi Rob. Lovely blog and the photo of Oscar is delightful, but your clotted cream tea is decadent! ;) The best I had was at a little restaurant at Tintagel about 7 years ago when we visited London and traveled to Cornwall. We enjoyed so many of your beautiful gardens!